Thunderstorms, blizzards, heat waves, or high winds are very common in New England. After harsh weather, you will want to ensure that your roof has been cleaned of dirt and debris and inspect it for damage. A residential roofing system that has not been properly maintained or repaired after harsh weather can be susceptible to problems. Also if it is not regularly inspected by a professional the roof can quickly fall into disrepair. In order to prevent long term problems, you should regularly inspect your roof and hire a professional roofer if you see signs of trouble.
Here at BP Builder we recommend that maintenance services on residential roofing systems should be done bi-annually. In the course of six months, weather and other factors can cause damage to the materials that help maintain your roof systems integrity. Having your roof inspected on a bi-annual basis helps to make sure that any damage from weather events, tree branches, mold, lichen and/or algae, pests, ice or other issues can be caught early and repaired before leading to more damage. Now, no one can do this job better than an expert roofing contractor.
What to look for when inspecting your roof
All roofing material needs regular maintenance and inspection, even the highest-grade residential roofing material. In fact, nearly one out of every three residential roofs needs either repairs or a complete residential roofing replacement due to a lack of regular cleaning and maintenance. Here is what you as a homeowner should look for when inspecting your roof:
- Inspect the flashings around chimneys, pipes and corners for damage to prevent water from leaking in and around them.
- Check to be sure your shingles are flat. Those that are buckling, curling or blistering are signs that your shingles may be at their end of life.
- Look in the gutters for pieces of shingles or shingle granules. If you see a lot in the gutters, this can be a sign that your roof may need to be replaced.
- Look at your roof from your attic to make sure there are no water stains or other signs that your roof has been damaged.
What should be included in regular maintenance of your roof
- Now here are ways that you can maintain your roof either on a seasonal, or a bi-annual basis:
- Clean gutters of leaves and other debris. When leaves pile too deeply in gutters, water can wick into roof sheathing and rot it, and even rot roof rafters.
- Sweep or blow off excess debris on the roof. Sticks, leaves and other debris can damage shingles, cause algae to grow and eventually clog the gutters.
- Trim any branches that are hanging over the roof to prevent damage and keep squirrels and raccoons away.
- Clear thick layers of snow accumulation that could lead to roof collapse. Carefully pull the snow off the roof using a snow rake available at most home improvement stores.
- Inspection of your roof can help preserve and prolong a roof’s life by ensuring that small or less complex problems are promptly identified and repaired before they become major issues that are more costly to repair.
- To find out more about expert residential roofing inspections and repairs, contact BP Builders
Contact Us Today
The next time you’re searching for roofing companies near me, roofing contractors near me or roofing contractors ct, or roof replacement near me look no further then BP Builders. We would be happy to fix the problem. Call us now or fill out the form on this page. BP Builders is a full-service company offering complete roofing, siding and gutter replacement services. For prompt, friendly and professional help, please contact us today!