Roofs are built to withstand normal wind speed and pressure. When wind strikes at the wrong angle or exerts uneven forces across a roof, that’s when trouble begins.
Types of Wind Damage to Roofs
Lots of danger blows in the wind. The design, materials, and installation of a roof must all work together to protect against several forces:
- Upward lifting pressure that can remove shingles or peel up the membrane
- Downward pressure that can cause cracks and weak points
- Fallen trees, limbs, debris, and downed power lines
These wind forces typically strike the perimeter, valleys, and other edges first. That’s why you might see the shingles on one edge curling up while the rest of the roof looks healthy.
Because wind hurts a roof by lifting up the shingles or membrane, the damage might not be very visible at first. Many cases of roof mold, storm damage, and discolored roofs actually start with wind damage. The dislodged roofing becomes more susceptible to other kinds of damage.
Protecting a Roof from Wind Damage
When building a new house, the roof can be designed and oriented to handle strong winds. When you live in a coastal area, it’s especially important. Flashing, eaves, ridge caps, and other roof components can all be chosen and installed to protect against both the suction effect of wind and aggressive downward pressure.
For existing homes, here’s what you can do to detect and prevent wind damage to the roof:
- Visually inspect the roof perimeter from the ground after major storms or strong winds
- Get a roof inspection annually
- Look for water leaks in the attic or discolorations on the roof
- Get roofing repairs to replace missing or curled shingles
- Strengthen a roof with new flashing, fascia, roof trusses
- Anticipate replacing a roof that is more than 20 years old or beyond its life expectancy
Contact Us Today
The next time you’re searching for roofing companies near me, roofing contractors near me or roofing contractors ct, or roof replacement near me look no further then BP Builders. We would be happy to fix the problem. Call us now or fill out the form on this page. BP Builders is a full-service company offering complete roofing, siding and gutter replacement services. For prompt, friendly and professional help, please contact us today!